Tuesday 24 April 2007

Confessions of a serial mower - copy from chat page




I now appear to be the only one without an avatar - I just cant get it to work. I have uploaded this again - it wont stick with me as it were.
On a serous note and you will all go OH NO, what now. In my investigations into "CLgate" as I will now call it, I have been asked by my legal eagle - "is there any possibility that Darkhorse, Alywicks or Harmonie" is the alter ego of one of us. Was there a condition of the entry - only one entry per person. I as you know have ditched the mag. If not, this could be another name for a contributor. CL has all the real names and addresses of us when we registered so they will know. Indeed it could be, in which case they then know the other facets of that writer - and chose accordingly - are you with me. It will all come out in the wash unless they are allowed to keep their anonymity. Their silence is deafening and could speak volumes if you get my drift. So if you are she, he or whatever, as they say in church "speak now or forever hold they peace". Before we get entrenched too far. The Telegraph ran a "rip off" article today - and this could be a good place to start when firing off letters to their letter page.
Please dont shoot me, I am not darkhorse.

7 comments:

Un Peu Loufoque said...

ps can you copy article or refernce to it from telegraph here don't get the uk papaers in this part of Brittany... only just get French ones...

lixtroll said...

Not me! I didn't enter the comp myself, but if my memory serves me right, all anyone had to do to qualify for entry was to declare it in the first line of their blog. Very far away on a another page in cyberspace would have been the rules and regs. I doubt if many entrants would have thought to have read them - I wouldn't have done.

The one thing that has occurred to me throughout the whole debacle is this. The search for a replacement columnist is surely a very serious matter for a magazine. The last column by Sue Gaisford I think was published in the current issue of CL - surely no magazine could really have left it so late to genuinely search for a new columnist! I know that in the next issue they are off to a hill farm in Wales as a stop-gap, but surely the new columnist would have to have submitted the draft article for the following issue by now?

countrymousie said...

Exactly - I think the whole thing was a con to get more bloggers in -it sure works - my best guess is that one of these three has the job anyway - with a bit of judicious wording they can put forward a clear "winner/fav" - done job. Proving it is the hard part. Call me cynical of suffolk if you want, mousie can smell a rat a mile off!!!!

Milla said...

lovely pics mousie, I adore the way the heiress is looking at you, with your bling in her mouth. And those toes! Adorable.
Yes, allied to the disgust, there is a real, adult response which should be dredged up here regarding ethics and CL, and rules governing comps. V timely with all this phone line stuff but, really, losing a quid to take a punt on winning a Deal or No Deal box (or whatever) dwindles into dust cf the many hours of effort and creativity committed to the comp. Sure, a lucky by-product was that we all became mates, but that was our doing, not CL's. The water is closing over our heads back there - I take the odd desultory look, more in absurd hope of seeing further editorial comment which, surprisingly, is not forthcoming!

Woozle1967 said...

A dirty great rat at that! I wasn't in the comp either, so can promise I'm not the dark, light or mid horse, but it still gets my goat!

Well, the site has lost out because they've lost many of the nicest and best folks. Serves 'em right.xx

Deborah said...

Thanks for looking into all the legal/grown-up/over my head stuff. I can't recall ever seeing anything about one entry per person but obviously would've needed to register twice on the site to get another user name (I think!). You are seriously glam countrymousie! Lovely pics (and the Heiress' mum looks so young too!) I do not have an avatar, might get round to it. Thanks for lovely comment on my blog - you always write the nicest things to me! LOL MH x

Kitty said...

I don't have an avatar either and am too scared of playing around too much to do do anything about it. Last time I lost my blog!

Strange with the doppelganger thing - I doubt it very much but as you say, CL would have names and addresses of registrations. I guess there would be ways around it but you'd have to be fairly underhand to try that. Odd eh?