Wednesday 25 April 2007

Confessions of a serial mower - back to normal


Almost back to normal here at CSI Suffolk.

Have sent off to various concerned parties, relevant information. Say no more!!

I have come back from the final leaflet drop with severe garden envy. By volunteering to do this it has allowed me access to private gardens I would not normally have the chance to see. We have one or two Lords and Ladies in the adjoining village and they come compete with compliment of gardeners and handimen. Today I saw greenhouses to make your eyes water - straight out of magazines (not that one obviously) painted in farrow and ball with little brick plinths, potting sheds complete with potters, clipped yew hedges, matching teak tables and chairs, swimming pools, tennis courts, even - get this - a private rugby pitch. One of the "new money" as they are called hereabouts has bought himself a piece of a field and has the whole kit and caboodle complete with posts, the lot. It has been an eye-popping experience.

And, worst of all, I have been out-striped in the lawn department. The lawn was real, I got down and touched it - it was spectacular - I think they cut it with a ruler. It was perfect.


The air was heady this morning with rape, wisteria and lilac. I adore lilac - I used to cut it and bring it into the house, but then someone told me it brings bad luck. Why is this do you think?

Answers on a postcard but there will be no prizes - you are all winners here.

No "we will gather lilac in the spring again" here. Bad luck in Suffolk.


Been home an hour and had a quick nip round with my own mower, blossom is all over my stripes and I have had to "hoover" her up and have a tidy round. The envy has passed.

Mummy duck has brought her babies for me to feed - she still has all twelve so I think we may

have struck lucky. By feeding them regularly she has not "dragged" them round the various ponds which always exhausts them and several usually get lost en route.

I am doing some potting up this afternoon of geraniums etc, but its far too early here to put them out. I noticed this morning that folks had been seduced by the sun, and several tender plants were out on steps - I only hope they all get taken back in again at night.

Rather a poor excuse for a blog today, but some days are like that. We are just too busy living to blog.
I have included a picture of my rather small wisteria which is on the front of the house to set the mood for you.

15 comments:

CAMILLA said...

Hello Countrymousie, was getting anxious, could not find you, and then just by magic, you appeared. Good to hear from you, over the border in sunny suffolk. The pic of Wisteria is gorgoeus, I had an abundance of this last year, all around the front of the house. Popped out one day to do some shopping, came back, and GASP, my husband had decided to prune it, so much so, that it is hardly visible, took me 5 years to grow it in the first place, (have hidden the shears). Love your stripy lawn Mousie, what a beautiful house you have. Have not potted up my Geraniums yet, another favourite plant of mine. Warm Wishes. Camilla.xxx

Suffolkmum said...

Small or not, I love the wisteria. We have some too on the back of the house but it hasn't yet flowered. The gardens do sound eye-popping. I would have ben convulsed with envy, though not sure a rugby pitch will be top of my list if I ever win the lottery. I didn't know about the lilac - oh no - I love it and was planning to bring some in. A lilac-less day in Suffolk indeed.

Joanna said...

I am thinking of planting some wisteria. Its so lovely to find all these new blogs. I did not read many on cl as it was so slow. I love all your mousie pictures they are so sweet.

Milkmaid said...

I keep meaning to say this, that your title, serial mower, reminds me of when i was at college and we rented a small cottage from a lady, whom the term serial mower could have been invented, seemingly at all hours she mowed, never got any peace in bed, for the whirr of the blasted thing - nothing like you at all - just been meaning to share that

countrymousie said...

I am quite good about the hours I keep on the mower - strictly after 10.00 am and always done by 5.00 pm - unless its really hot - plus I am quarter of a mile from the next house - but I think you can hear the distant hum of me!! I dont mean smell either.

. said...

Fantastic looking Wisteria. I am jealous! Cannot believe that anyone's lawn is more perfect than yours. Your stripes are amazing!

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Ones own rugger pitch ! Oh how nouveau riche can you get!! Did he buy two teams to go with it or do you think its jsut to look at!! My wisteria had a hair cut when jean paul adn berhnard did the roof so is looking very bare sadly!!lovely piv of your perhaps I can cut nad past it along eth side of het house!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

utterly beautiful wisteria. we had some at the last house and i adored it but it wont grow here (too high, cold and stony) although lots else will.
my sons would kill for a private rugby pitch!

Pipany said...

I bring the lilac indoors - refuse to have superstitions involving flowers! Apparently red and white flowers should never be taken into hospital as it is a reminder of the blood and bandages in the war! x

Fennie said...

No idea about the lilac except that for some reason I always associate it with Agatha Christie and so I suppose with Colonel Plum in the cellar with the lead piping - but that's probably just my quirky mind.

What a wisteria! Small? What's big?
But how lovely - really they are the prettiest of plants.

Posie said...

Photo s lovely mousie, we haven't got our 'blooms' out here yet, it is always later up here, so the photo and blog were very inspiring.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Beautiful picture, countymousie. Looks as though it was quite sunny down your way. I am still unable to load pictures onto individual blogs (can do the running thing on the profile) - think it has something to do with heightened security settings on my computer and I'm loath to undo them without consulting someone who knows what they're doing. Would have loved to have nosed around all those stately homes!

Milkmaid said...

Just caught up, been busy with the pups, of course as students we could have been in bed at any hour - that didn't really come out right

Pondside said...

What a beautiful wisteria. I have a monster wisteria that produces lots of vine and leaves and a few puny blossoms. Am trying to imagine caring for a place big enough for its own soccer pitch!

Tattieweasle said...

Helloo there - I think I have green envy - YOUR lawns look fantstatic would that ours could get like that! Hope the detictive work is going well. Do you still need the Mag? It's ready and waiting...
PS. School run I do is way east of you nearer Brettenham and I always stick to the speed limit and v polite partially because Dora the decrepit Landrover just can't get the speed up these days and also becuase I live on a rat run myself to the station - so please no drawbridges!