Friday 11 May 2007

Confessions of a serial mower - "humming along" nicely



Well it was meant to be a quiet "me time" sort of day today. A leisurely shower, blow dry hair, paint nails, a bit of exfoliation - maybe a blog - you know the sort of thing.
GOH had to leave at some ungodly hour to visit a stud farm and farmhouse in Wiltshire he had designed last year and which is now complete. He has gone to do the "snagging" list as they call it - the little, we hope, bits and pieces that are not quite right or not finished to the clients satisfaction. A sum of money is retained at the end of a contract for six months or so, and is released to the builder when this final inspection is carried out and any work outstanding is finished. I went down there when the stud had an open day last autumn and was really quite impressed. "I wish you wouldn't act so surprised when you see the finished article" says GOH, "it doesn't give the right impression". He has been a designer for some 40 years now, man and boy, but I am still impressed when I see his finished work. I have to learn a new way of showing how proud of him I am! Surprised is not a good look!! It frightens the clients!
He is a very talented architect though I say so myself and has designed many buildings all over the country. He specializes mainly in schools and buildings associated with them such as sports halls and swimming pools. He designed and actually constructed by himself one of the first barn conversions in Suffolk, in another life, before Mousie. As such, he is quite sought after and even though he is now 60, he loves every day of his job, though the planning bureaucracy does wear him and the practice down. It is this proper job as I call it that allows us to live here and farm, without his income we could not afford the mortgage. Plain fact.

Anyway, was just settling down for a relaxing day on my own, when two builders turn up on the doorstep wanting to start the concrete floors in the barn. You remember, the ones dug out by the gravedigger. So clutching the shower towel round me I have to find the car keys to move my car and the trannie van. Can't find the van keys so have to ring GOH who is now with said client. He is not amused and I get short shrift but now know where the keys are! The hum of the mixer permeates the house as the floors get laid. It is not going to be a peaceful day I can tell.

Another knock on the door, by now my hair is at least dry. It is the fertilizer man for the lawns - you know my pride and joy - and as it has rained could he spread the organic lawn feed today. He also wants to chat and talk about the neighbours up the road and I just want to get dressed. It is now 9.15 a.m. Another hum permeates the house - the smell, and I mean stink, from the organic chicken manure lawn feed pellets!! It would seem that the last time he used this fertilizer I was away on holiday, so never noticed, and "the smell usually goes go in about 3 days, providing it rains"! Oh, that's alright then! Now have to shut all the windows and the back door.

The ducks and ducklings by this time have heard me and are also on the door step demanding their breakfast. I look down and there is more organic fertilizer on my step, this time it is fresh and in natural form. Lavender anyone?

13 comments:

Elizabethd said...

Comfort yourself that at least it was duck poo, and not, as I found near my door this morning....dog poo. The neighbour has a small horrid weasel that he calls a dog. It is so tiny that it gets under all fences, and just does its own thing wherever. Dark mutterings about airgun from my husband.

Suffolkmum said...

I hate days like that, when you're not left to get on with your plans in peace! You'll have to carry a pomander like an elegant medieval lady! Had to laugh at you looking surprised at GOH's successes - R always accuses me of being amazed whenever he is successful at anything. It's just that we see all their foibles ...

Bluestocking Mum said...

They have been spraying the fields near is with chicken ****. So putrid-I can almost taste it!!

Hope you catch up on your 'me time'

warm wishes
xx

Inthemud said...

Ahhh! The ducklings look gorgeous!

Poo! It's a horrible smell, shut the windows please!

lixtroll said...

Poor Mousie, and I believe you weren't feeling well this morning too - I hope things have improved a bit by now. Isn't it just like it though, they just turn up when they like - we are still waiting for the electrician to come from last Friday . . . I know he'll turn up just as we're rushing around to get out somewhere, or just when new guests arrive in the cottages!

Really lovely to hear about your hubby's work too.

Sally Townsend said...

Hmmm I suspect your shower towel is rather insy winsy, hence the long line of workmen !

muddyboots said...

we get chicken poo smells wafting this way, now that is *+^#.

Milkmaid said...

You are obviously so glam in your towel as Sally says that workman are just waiting for GOH to go out for the day, may be the ducks are trying to protect you?

CAMILLA said...

Love those gorgeous ducks, but not the smell of chicken poo.
Camilla.xx

Pondside said...

I regularly have fresh duck poo on the verandah as the ducks come up to knock on the glass doors for their breakfast. I agree that you must be quite glamorous in your towel - all those work men!!! Don't know what to suggest for the smell - lavendar spray, water and cinnamon simmering on the stove, leaving home for an afternoon of shopping.....

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Oh dear - quite a day and all so early on. Hope you are feeling a bit better by now. Our postman has a knack of sussing out if I have showered late and arriving with things to be signed for - word then gets around . . . and all sorts of parcels turn up . . .well once anyway. Actually with the lawn manure and the duck poo - no-one will notice if you don't shower for a few days - just keep the windows open!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

your husband sounds a talented and lovely man. know just what you mean about postman/builders etc arriving when you are in a state of undress!
lovely ducklings.

JacquiMcR said...

Mousie, with regard to the poo my hubby would say" take a few good deep sniffs and you'll not notice it" alternatively you could just keep the doors closed and treat yourself to a lovely scented candle. Take care - Jacqui x