Wednesday 9 May 2007

Confessions of a serial mower - back to normal - copy




Rather a quiet day in Suffolk today - thundery, heavy, close sort of day as they say here, feels a bit stormy. Finished off the lawns that were a bit too damp to do yesterday. Delivered Parish Magazines - one or two people owed the princely sum of £4.00 for the yearly subscription and I had to pursue this. The most difficult customer was my old dad - "didn't know if it was worth it"! I rather thought 12 copies of our newsy little magazine, delivered to his door, was well worth the money but such is life. He saw me eyeing up his brand new lawn mower and hedge cutter and thought he best hand over the cash!! My brother was no better. Embarrassing or what, when your late payers are family and the church warden has to quietly mention the fact to you. Mum would always pay for all these sorts of incidentals. Money is not the issue here, dad is what you would call very comfortably off these days, as is brother. If its not for the farm or garden they don't like parting with their cash.
A real Suffolk trait.

Hopping Moon wondered if I had a photograph of a manatee (sea cow) a rare mammal found in the warm waters in and around the Everglades and South West Florida - www.manateecenter.com. I have pictures of the whirlpool effects they leave in the water when they come up for air, but they didn't reproduce very well.
I have printed the photo GOH took when we were there last February of a dolphin playing with a fish. That's about as exciting as it gets. No blog today just these little meanderings.
Lastly, did anyone hear back from the ASA when they contacted them regarding the CL competition. Just wondered if it was all now done and dusted and if CL emerged unscathed.

7 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

Yes, a manatee would be nice but, hey, you've done really well. I'm sorry my blog was a bit upsetting for you - I don't think the loss ever goes away but you do learn to deal with better, don't you? Well, most of the time. CX

CAMILLA said...

Hello Countrymousie,
Not sure about the CL site, do not know if they have even decided from the three who has been chosen. Still feel that many of our friends here including you, should have been chosen. Uh, what a complete mess it turned out to be.The weather here in Norfolk has been "muggy", but I did manage to cut the lawn today before all the heavens opened up. Love all your photo's.
Camilla.xx

Pondside said...

It has rained so much here that we could cut the grass every day if it would only dry out! Loved your shots from the Gulf. Where do you go - I must have missed that.

Blossomcottage said...

I heard back sorry I meant to tell you, things have been a bit topsy turvey here, they said much the same to me as they did to you, Promotion etc, if you would like the letter I will scan it in and send it to you.
Blossom

Kitty said...

Your parish magazine is very expensive, ours is only £3.50. That's Suffolk for you!

Eden said...

thundery and close here too all day yesterday and today. but so glad to see the rain. We need it so much, and it is that long and gentle kind that doesn't wash soil away, the very best for the veggies in the garden. Perhaps at last my ungerminating seeds will get their act together. Thanks for the kind comment on the blog. I can see by your attentions to the Heiress that you love children too. She is so beautiful -- if you think she's stolen your heart now, just wait till she adds to her arrows linguistic cuteness. No heart will be safe!

Holy Way said...

Thanks for the website link to the manatee centre - i do so love these gentle vegetarian creatures. So sad that they have become so depleted. I did go looking for them myself years ago but not in sight sadly!