Tuesday 8 May 2007

Confessions of a serial mower - travels with mum


Kitty B set me thinking the other day. Her blog discussed cremation as opposed to burial and it is a dilemma we all have to face in one form or another I guess. Either in advance for ourselves or when the inevitable happens for a relative.

I have a fear of fire and thus I have instructions in my will that I want to be buried in the churchyard attached to the pretty Church of my birth village. Many late family members are resting there after their agricultural toils; great grandparents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins. As a family we have travelled all over but we seem to come to rest back in our beloved Suffolk village. Farming is very like that, you need to get back to your roots, in dry soil preferably under a spreading chestnut tree. We are a bit obsessed with chestnuts in our family. It is the name of my paternal farm, Chestnut Tree Farm.
When I was born one Christmas Day, a sweet chestnut was planted to commemorate this momentous event and it thrives today, tall and spreading and pink, on the farm.

Mum, now she was born in a tiny cottage in the village where we now live. She had no desire to be buried and this left us in somewhat of a quandary. “ What to do with mother”! She left no written express wish.
I inherited her very warped and macabre sense of humour and I am sure she has a wry smile about her now as she watches over me from wherever she is today. I say that not in jest, but because she could be, well, anywhere. Upon her passing much debate (polite word for it) ensued. I took tea with the Vicar, a modern, forward thinking man. He had spent many hours with mum during her last days, and he gave me some very sound advice. Whatever you do, he said, “scatter her to the four winds” if you want, but if you do you will never have a place to come back to. He added he had come across it time and again, after a while you will need a place to return to, a place to chat, to leave flowers, to just be with her.

Mum is now a very well travelled lady. Her ashes are indeed buried in said Churchyard with a little marble plaque and vase so I can visit her whenever I want and place some flowers and have a chat. But not all of her. Some are here with us at our home in a special little box. Some are scattered with her beloved mum and dad in our Churchyard here, the village of her birth.
The remainder are floating somewhere in the blue green warm waters off the coast of Florida in the Gulf of Mexico, scattered off our favourite barrier island, where dolphins play and manatees swim, and the sand is white and children scream and frolic in the gentle waves. She is forever on vacation. She never was in life; she rarely rested or ever had a holiday. She worked and worked and mothered and cared, all her waking hours.
She was planning to come with us to our secret island the year she died. So, with special permission and a lot of prodding, comments and raised eyebrows from the Customs Men in Miami, she went, safely encased in a jiffy bag, via British Airways. A trip of a lifetime. A trip after a lifetime.

17 comments:

countrymousie said...

I took this pic of the dolphins from a friends boat down in the Everglades off the coast a mile or two. They swim in the wake of the engines. This particular group numbered about 30 which is very rare to see. Mostly mothers and babies. A pre-school of dolphons.

Suffolkmum said...

OK, I've got tears in my eyes. Ive never heard you sound so poetic (I mean, I know you can write really well, but this is so poignant). I love the thought of your Mum being partly with her family in Suffolk, partly forever on vacation in Florida. Burial always sounds much more, well, solid, somehow, more fitting for a life well lived, but I have a phobia about being buried alive, so I'll have to leave strict instructions that they must be 100% sure I've really gone! So you're a Christmas Day baby - has that been good or bad? And how lovely to have your very own chestnut tree, there are loads of them in Suffolk aren't there? Great blog.

Faith said...

O goodness Mousie, I am so sentimental, this blog has brought tears to my eyes. I was just emailing my sister before i came onto Purplecoo about visiting our grandparents graves, and also going through old family papers. My father's ashes are distributed in a similar way - most here on the tiny island, near me, some under the roses at the old house and some in a little pot in my bedroom, waiting to be mixed with some of my mother's when she goes. Together, in life and afterwards. Your mother's ashes are in wonderful places. That's what I'd like.

Exmoorjane said...

What a truly wonderful and moving blog, mousie...I read in raptures. I have a fear of fire yet also a fear of being buried alive,so I'm pretty well stuffed (now there's an idea!).
But seriously, I love the idea of part of her always being on holiday. Love your picture too -it's so good to be able to imagine one another after all these months of guesswork.
jxxx

Bluestocking Mum said...

Lovely touching blog Mousie. Know how much your mum meant to you. Ditto the others-you are known for being a funny little mousie but you also can write the deep and moving blogs so well!! Love the thought of your lovely mum being scattered a bit everywhere-I rather think I'd like that when it's my turn.

+How appropriate that 'your' sweet Chestnut Tree should be a pink one!

PS-never told you-I laugh everytime I open your blogs/avatar and see Pink Country Mousie on the pink sofa!!

warmest wishes
xx

Inthemud said...

That was truly wonderfully moving. I think your mum is a lucky woman to have had a daughter like you, spreading her ashes in so many lovely spots , just briliant, I like the idea that some of her is forever on holiday!!

Un Peu Loufoque said...

hey way to go Gran!

toady said...

I also love the thought of her now being on permanent holiday after her hard life. Lovely thing to do. Toady

DevonLife said...

that was truly lovely and poignant

Eden said...

You have been so thoughtful in dealing with your mother's remains. I love the thought of her being on perpetual holiday with the dolphins. And what a wise thing your vicar said to make sure there is a place you can visit when you want to.

Fennie said...

One of my Canadian relatives took the ashes of a friend up to a high pass in the Rockies so that half would be washed (eventually) into the Atlantic and half into the Pacific. But I'm with you about being buried under a Chestnut.

Lovely blog and lovely pics.

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Brilliantly written - a beautiful story.
Dread to think what my lot will do with me but probably along the lines of Xmoor Jane -stuffed -well and truly!

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Lovely blog as always - very different for you this one - I too love the idea of your Mum being forever on vacation.

Holy Way said...

This is a very beautiful piece of writing. Such a difficult decision and so thoughtfully carried out.

Wondering if you have a picture of the manatees too - I so love them...?

Pondside said...

A truly beautiful story - I love your solution and that your mother is on perpetual holiday in the sun. I think it's important to have a place to go to remember too - even if it's just a plaque on a church wall.

Ska, not a good mother but working on it said...

Mousie, tears in my eyes reading this. So much so I've bogged about it. So sorry if I offend..

Anonymous said...

Hi Mousie,
Came across your blog and have been rummaging through the archives. Gulf of Mexico, Sanibel Island, by any chance? What a lovely idea to take your mum with you. Am really enjoying your blog and will eventually catch up to the present! Lovely post. Scribble