Thursday 2 August 2007

At the Races


Every week should start with a day at the races don't you think.

Perhaps it always does for some, but not usually for us Suffolk farming folk. So it was on Monday, we got all dressed and dolled up and headed up the A12 to Gt Yarmouth and the race course there, overlooking the dunes and the beach.


Some very close and dear friends sponsor a race in memory of late relatives, and hire one of the executive boxes overlooking the course and invite around 25 friends to join them. So here is a picture of what the inside of one of these "boxes" looks like. You have your own bar, waitresses and on this occasion a running buffet of hot and cold food. Champagne and canapes on arrival, lunch at 1.00, and then afternoon tea, as if you would still be hungry. If you spot anyone you know in there, don't tell on them!!


Its all frightfully pukka, with a loo opposite, the Tote down the hallway so "one" doesn't even have to venture out of the building to bet if "one" didn't feel like it! GOH of course loves the thrill of the on course bookies and is out of the door like a whippet after every race. He said he had a few winners but was very coy about the exact amount. He did look very smug at times.

The view afforded from the box is first class, and if you don't want to stand on the balcony you can watch the race on the TV provided inside the box. I noticed some people never left the
table. I was not one of them. I am far far too nosy and like to people watch, and chat, and peer into next door's box to see who is about.


I remember when I was invited to a very smart Box at Newmarket, where the neighbouring Box was that belonging to the Al Maktoum family, the famous horse owning Dubai rulers. Such wonders and treasurers I have never seen in a house, let alone a Box at a race track.
The steward there told me that the box has to be fully staffed, flowered, etc etc always, just in case the family visit. It even had a tented ceiling.

Anyway, Yaarmuth, as they say, is a bit more real life! The wind fairly whistled off the North Sea, and off shore, the 30 or so giant wind turbines were turning silently in the distance.


The world and his wife turn up - some folks looking as though they were straight off the beach - perhaps they were, and others, wore their Sunday or Monday best! GOH wore his linen suit and could easily have been at home at Goodwood with Blossom! There is a "dress code" for this stand but not elsewhere, so there is much to watch! Girls in tiny pink dresses and high wedges and rather older husbands, all looking very pleased with themselves! Red faced men, children, babies, mums and dads, lads. We could peer down on them all.


My task for the day was to judge the Best Turned Out horse for the said sponsored race. Whilst the horses are being paraded, I had to stand with a Steward and judge which one looked the best and had received the most attention and work by its groom. It was difficult I found this year as there were 15 runners and only a couple really stood out. I was in two minds which one to choose, when a stunning grey, almost gun metal colour, entered the parade ring a tad late and it just looked fabulous. It was plaited up, mane and tail, had oiled hooves, shone - no - more gleamed in the sun and there was my outright winner. The handler was late getting into the ring as she had a difficult horse to contend with from the previous race. She was very excited to win, I handed her the cash prize, and off she went. The horse actually finished second in the race. I didn't get time to put an each way bet on, so I got nothing! Well I got lots of attention in the ring actually and I did rather enjoy the moment.
I tried to look as if I knew what I was doing. I don't really, but have picked up tips etc over the years on what to look for. I couldn't for a moment do it myself.


So, if anyone invites you to a day at the races, don't hesitate to say yes, especially if it's a Monday - what could be a better start to the week. Say Yes Please, if they have a Box.

24 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I do love a day at the races. Never been in anything as posh as an executive box though. Sounds very much like I've been missing out!

I can't believe some people didn't even leave the table - I'd be like you, wanting to see everything and everyone and savouring the moment!!

What an exciting responsibility you had, choosing the best turned out horse! Sounds like you had a fabulous time!

Elizabethd said...

Your best turned out horse sounds wonderful, quite the right choice. What fun you had!

annakarenin said...

Had to pop back to read this sounds like a preat day out and very you to be judging on turn out. Did it have pink shoes?? Okay bet its jockey was wearing pink. Keep trying to get the hubs to wangle us an invite to Chepstow as he has a contact.

Anonymous said...

I bet you knew what you doing really..! I wouldn't be brave enough to stand and judge a horse. I'd be frightened of going round the back to look at the tail. we have a little 12.2 and I'm terrified of her!

Crystal xx

CAMILLA said...

Have never been to the Races Mousie, but have always wanted to, just not managed it yet. My husband's Aunt went every week, she loved the thrill of it all, and placing her bets.

Camilla.xx

Pondside said...

What a glamorous day, Mousie! I couldn't see you in the photo and then realized that you must have taken it - what did you wear???? If I am ever invited to a race I shall contact you immediatly for advice!!

bradan said...

I used to love going to the races, but nothing glamorous like this! Your winning choice sounds excellent. You obviously had great fun!

Suffolkmum said...

Ooh Mousie how posh and exciting! I've been to the races before, but never in such hallowed company! I did get to go to an executive box for a corporate thing once, but it was at Spurs, not quite the same, but I know what you mean about some people never leaving the table. Isn't the weather lovely again today (Friday) - might head for the coast this weekend!

Sally Townsend said...

And jolly nice it is looking in at your social whirl from rural France !!

Bluestocking Mum said...

That does sound very glamorous-what a great day out for you.

I have never been. I can just picture you...know how fond you are of horses too...just got the titters thinking of 'dark horse' and that photo you did on the other site and only me 'got it' at first!!

warm wishes
xx

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

What a thoroughly grand day out! You sound as though you enjoyed every minute of it. (Of course, you couldn't have picked a "dark" horse, could you... Even if she was running, which she probably wouldn't have been.)
Really enjoyed reading about your day, and enjoying all those canapes vicariously.

Pondside said...

Me again, from across the pond. Thanks for your lovely comments - didn't realize that you'd been to Toronto too. It is a great city - worth a trip, but not in the summer heat!

Woozle1967 said...

Love the races! Jimmy makes the bookmakers umbrellas that you see the bookies stand under alongside the course and travels all over the country delivering them so he gets to go to some great race courses. Occasionally I'll go for the drive too but end up sitting in the car as he gets in for free!xx

@themill said...

Sounds great, but I've never quite got into the whole horsey/racing world. It's just not me somehow. The poor daughter has to go off to my sister in law to get her horse fix. Rotten mother that I am. Now give me a rugby or cricket match.....

Kitty said...

How lovely it sounds.

Did I read somewhere you'd had a diagnosis after all this time? And will it help with pain management etc? Let's hope so.

Chris Stovell said...

Hello Mousie! I'm sorry to come to this so late but you can see what it's like. One thing I always get from your blogs is your sense of curiousity about life (and what other people are up to - in the nicest possible sense!). I bet you would be a great person to go to the races with (that's the only thing I miss about the past - I used to live on Epsom Downs and the race course was part of my life for years). Love Chris

Fennie said...

Sounds wonderful, and perhaps I've always been in the wrong company, but, do you know, I've never actually ever seen the point of racing? Wouldn't want to deny others their pleasure, it's just that having to give all your money to bookies seems to spoil a good day out.

Tattieweasle said...

Late as usual - sounds a glorioius day and what fun judging the best turned out! Still have this crazy image of you draped over your mower in Boden - I've tried flicking throughg the catalogue to give me inspiration...don't worry it's only the Tylex and copious quantities of calpol I've had to take cos I had an allergic reaction to a wasp sting on Tuesday and only just back to normal - well normal for ME! Working out the meet up sounds like it would be in September in Alderbrugh: Dress - Boden of course! All we have to do is single out a date...

Inthemud said...

Hi countrymousie,
Good to hear from you.
Weather in Sussex dreadful too, i'm soaked having just walked the dog.

Never been to yarmouth races, but did venture to Pleasure beach! Children love it, and we have to go every year with all the cousins .
They keep the wrist bands on for whole of summer hols till its time to go back to school!

Exmoorjane said...

I've never been to the races....but between you and Blossom, I'm feeling that I might be missing out. My ex-neighbour (the one who bred Asbo Jack) is always trying to drag me off to them so maybe next time I'll say yes. How fabulous being able to choose your favourite horse....the gunmetal grey sounds gorgeous....how about a picture?

Anonymous said...

Absolutely glorious, but like yourself, I think I would have to have a prowl around and see what's what.

I loved this - brilliant!

annakarenin said...

Popped in feeling guilty about not calling for a while but realise you have been busy too.

Just to say caught that photo of your house going through the other day and was blown away by it. It is absolutely stunning. Do you go and stand in the garden and just stare at it all the time? Think I would it is definately deserving of your wonderful garden.

@themill said...

Ahem! Time for another blog m' dear!

Inthemud said...

Popped by to say Hi
Hope you are ok

Warmest wishes
Elaine