Tuesday 1 May 2007

Confessions of a serial mower - still quite competitive


The CL Competition, the comp that keeps on giving. In the nicest possible way that is. I first started entering competitions in earnest whilst mum was ill. I would sit for hours by her bedside in hospital and at home, willing her to live and whiling away the hours reading magazines and entering quizzes. The ones that took the longest were the ones that required a slogan and thereby
my witty little ditties arose. These were the ones I would win – not many people bother if they have to write a slogan, so obviously the chances are better. I nearly won a car once. I entered a motor oil one, I got through to the finals which was a driving at a proper racetrack. We were required to drive all sorts of cars, including a Catterham 7, the £25,000.00 first prize. I even had to take an advanced driving test just outside Winchester.. I did very well, in the heats.
I failed to win as, naively; I had not done my homework. The final round was a test of knowledge on this special little car. I knew nothing – zero, zilch!! The man who won – yes it had to be a man didn’t it, knew every ruddy detailed little thing about them. Congratulations Mr Swot, you win First Prize. I learnt a lot that day.
Until the CL comp, I thought I had the whole thing sussed. Rules, agenda, small print. It seems I still have much to learn.
I was quite successful in a “not winning the car” sort of way. I have won flights to Spain, a weekend in Ireland, a week at Ragdale Hall, garden furniture and games, a huge telly which sits in the snug staring and blinking at the electronic photo frame that was the birthday present for GOH from the boys. I have various books, and cosmetics and gismos. But, in over ten years, this is the first time I ever won friends, which I seem to have done, by not winning a comp!
Of course, a few “real life” friends who have seen my little successes have all jumped on the band wagon. One won a car, one a cruise worth thousands, another a Chanel watch. Makes you want to spit doesn’t it. No slogans involved I might add and no premium rate phone calls to GMTV to my knowledge. Another competition con. There is a lot of it about it would seem. But, as they say “you’ve got to be in it to win it”! Or, maybe not!!!
I might add that I haven’t entered a single one since CL. Kinda put me off; funny that!!
Another day, another lawn. I have five this size.

10 comments:

Sally Townsend said...

Mousie, you may not have won a certain competition but instead gained something here that is far more valuable. And no sneaking mousie like into the hole in todays door either over at Le Chateau !!

Suffolkmum said...

I always pop in here first thing. Lovely blog. I have a friend who used to go out with someone who was a competitions editor and she said he was always moaning that not enough people entered competitions. Even knowing that, I kept forgetting to enter. CL was my first and last! How right you are though, who would want to be obligated to CL right now rather than having fun on here? I love logging on here each morning.

toady said...

Never won anything, no tell a lie, a glass fruit set in a Christmas raffle. Toady

Milla said...

I tend to be fairly lucky in raffles - lucky in the thrill of a winning ticket, but generally down to dodgy peach handcream and garage-VHSs of van Diesel films to chose from. Still exciting, but I'll have jinxed my luck now by mentioning it.

Inthemud said...

Wow, I'm impressed at all your winning! My Father in law used to do loads and like you won quite a few good prizes, including a flight on Concord.

There is a knack to writing slogans, and you must have got it!!

countrymousie said...

Just been on CL site to check out chat room , again and it appears that perhaps the prize we all sought - columnist - wasnt after all - it may have been the chance to write just the one for September - bloody hell - surely we didnt all get really conned did we!! See what you folks think - you dont have to log in to look. Perv away!! Web Announcements - moan room not a chat room

muddyboots said...

l can safely say that l never win anything, so l don't bother to enter, even raffle tickets are a no no. but so what l'm me & l know that l'm wonderful/great/ fantastic so who cares that no one else has realised yet!

Un Peu Loufoque said...

When we lived in OZ we had a house mate who won evry saturady night without fail a meat tray or a seafood tray at the local pub. That being Oz we are talking several kilos of prime beef or prawns and crabs!!We used to check the fridge sunday morning to see if he was home !

Kitty said...

How lovely that you say you have son friends - you certainly have. Ahh.

Kitty said...

Oh heck, I meant Won friends. Typing dyslexia again.