Tuesday 15 May 2007

Confessions of a serial mower - an emotional morning





I have had a very emotional few days. The Heiress, our Angel and new found love of our lives has been very very poorly. A month ago she had the MMR vaccine; I was worried as many people are over this, and was told not to be so old fashioned! She started to get sick last Thursday and spiked a dreadful fever on Friday and was covered in spots by Saturday. Doctors prodded and poked and finally decided yesterday that she has baby measles - from research it would appear that rarely this can occur up to six weeks after the MMR vaccine is administered.
Today the rash is subsiding, her temperature is normal and she is perky and wants to eat. There doesnt appear to be any lasting damage. We are on a moments notice to drive to Portsmouth if need by. We have a web cam link to watch her as she is home.
We tried to carry on as normal all weekend, we even went out for that hilarious meal, thinking she just was teething, hot and grumpy. But our baby girl was really sick.

I have been looking through my favourite Daisy Goodwin poetry book, for a bit of comfort, and found this poem, by Bernard O'Donoghue. You may find this odd at a time like this, but with Blossom losing her friend and others having suffered, it just shows how important it is to tell those people you love, that you love them. I hope Blossom finds comfort from the fact that her friend knew how much she was loved. I told my dear departed mum often and I will now make sure I tell The Heiress every time I see her, in between the kisses.

Going without Saying

It is a great pity we don't know
When the dead are going to die.
So that, over a last companionable
Drink, we could tell them
How much we liked them.

Happy the man who, dying. can
Place his hand on his heart and say:
At least I didn't neglect to tell
The thrush how beautifully she sings.

4 comments:

muddyboots said...

l remember when harry had his mnr, l thought what if.... he was fine & shows great promise in the family battyness stakes.

Fennie said...

So glad she's feeling better. Young children are remarkably resilient but also so fragile. Must have been a worrying time.

Pondside said...

As I said in the chat, I'm so glad that she's feeling better. It is such a powerless feeling, isn't it, when a wee one is sick.I'm sure she'll bounce back as she lookds like a beautifully healthy baby, but the WORRY for you has been awful, I'm sure.

CAMILLA said...

Glad your granddaughter is better, as I said on the chat page,a very worrying time for you all.
Camilla.xx