Saturday 7 June 2008

The Sale of the Century

Where to begin as I have so often said.
This photo was taken last July, just a week before I discovered GOH was having an affair. The sun was setting over my life and I didn't even know it.

Odd how things turn out isn't it.

It's just 8 weeks since I moved four miles to a totally new life. To a modern, "grand design" type of a house, all glass, open plan, wood floors, built into the hillside with views to die for and surrounded by 25 acres of grassland. A farm girl and her meadows cannot be parted it would seem.

A new job; offered by the Agents who sold my farm. I now show lovely country homes around this area of Suffolk. I adore it and the new people I meet. Many of whom it has to be said seem to be the position I found myself last year. Despite the gloom and doom that one reads about the property market at the moment it seems that many people are divorcing or separating and whereas one house sufficed, now two are required and thus
in some small way keeping the housing market afloat. A sobering thought to ponder on.

I sold the farm to a lovely young couple with two small girls who I know will love and enjoy the place as we had. I felt no sadness on the day of moving, just a tremendous relief and no tears. The only tears were from GOH who came back on the day to collect a few things and the realisation of the finality of the whole event came home to roost. I had one small "turn" in the middle of the lawn when the money failed to materialize from my buyers and their removal vans were lining up in the driveway. I totally lost it but got my money before the afternoon was through; the mouse turned.

I have spent the past few weeks updating this house - it had not been lived in full time for its entire life - 12 years - and needed a good clean, paint and spruce up. The lawns of course have been striped. I did get possession of my mower!

I will write a blog about my new home soon with photographs etc. I think it and I were just waiting for each other. I had watched it being built out of the hillside some 12 years ago never thinking in a million years one day it would be mine.

I have found many new friends en route and lost a few old ones, as I knew I would.

The mouse still roars.

GOH = galivanting old husband - not gorgeous older husband!

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely to see a blog post from you. You sound so happy now that you have found your new life. Looking forward to seeing photos of the new home, it sounds beautiful.

CJ xx

mountainear said...

Glad you are back and blogging. Look forward to reading more about your life in that 'grand design' house.

Cait O'Connor said...

Good to hear life is going well. Your new house sounds gorgeous and I look forward to reading more from you.

Elizabethd said...

I'm so pleased to hear you are settled in a job and a new house. It is comforting to make it your own, as no doubt you have.
And yes, you do get to know who your real friends are.

Blossomcottage said...

Oh Mousie how I know what you have been through, I am so glad that the light has appeared at the end of your tunnel as it has for me, you sound very positive and very happy. Looking forward to pictures of stripped lawns and your new house.
Blosom

Norma Murray said...

Gald to see that life is turning out well for you after all the setbacks. Great to read your blogs again.

snailbeachshepherdess said...

so lovely to find you here, happy and looking forward..
Keep that mouse roaring and the mower revving....

Tattieweasle said...

Ha! so good to hear the Mousie roars - and that she got possession of the mower. New home sounds SO glamorous - as you said you were obviously made for each other! So glad you're back!

Withy Brook said...

Can't wait to see the stripes! The best things are worth waiting for and this one - you sounding happy and positive - is more worth it than most!

Bluestocking Mum said...

Dear Mousie

So good to hear from you. I don't know that happy is the right word...however so good to hear you have come through the 'other side' and are forging ahead.

I have thought about you often. So understand where you have been and probably where you are now.

Just very good to have to back amongst your friends.

Good for you Mousie...you made it thus far...

Big Hug

Angel
AKA-country craft angel
AKA-Chicken Licken
xx

Milkmaid said...

Well done Mousie, Your new house sounds fantastic and no doubt will make us all green with envy, 25 acres for you to mow, just as well you got the lawn mower. much love MM

Chris Stovell said...

Hurray! You go, girl! look forwards to hearing more in due course.

Wizzard said...

great to see you back, I have missed your blogs

Wx

Pondside said...

Woo Hoo - Mousie, it's so good to see that you're back. Your new place sounds perfect - Can't wait to see photos and to hear all about it. You're on a new adventure and you sound primed for it. When you've finished mowing, come on over to the Pacific North West and consult re my lawn!

CAMILLA said...

Hi Mousie,
Great to see you back, and to know life is going well for you. The new house sounds gorgeous, look forward to hearing all about it.

xx

Kitty said...

Brilliant! So very pleased to have you back in our midst, roar on mousie! Like the new meaning of GOH. Good for you!

bodran... said...

I always wondered what GOH stood for and i find out now that it's changed. last as usual. It's so good to have y back and souding so brill.
I really like the sound of your new house so photos please xx jo

Frances said...

Hello Mousie, and a huge welcome back.

How grand to read this catch up, and to learn of all the good things that have been happening in your life.

Your new employer is very wise to be making use of your vast talent! I do very much look forward to seeing some pictures of your lovely new setting.

Best wishes to you. xo

Sally Townsend said...

Good to see you back on form Mousie. And of course if you want to use your talents there's a certain house for sale in the South of France !! Your new pad sounds divine, wishing you lots of love and happiness in it.

Fennie said...

So glad you are back amongst us, Mousie. House sounds divine. Do hope you'll be very happy in it. Look forward to hearing more in due course.

Faith said...

A strong Mouse in a new house! Welcome back, You've been missed.

@themill said...

Great stuff Mousie. Delighted you got custody of the mower and so pleased to hear that light has appeared at the end of what was probably a very long, black tunnel.
Looking forward to seeing photos of the new mouse house, sounds divine.x

Milla said...

Howdy Mousie, great to hear you sounding so chipper and yes, please, photos soon, even though you'll plunge us all into gloomy pools of house envy. Keep on roaring, it's what my 9 year old reckons anyway.

Exmoorjane said...

Yeay Mousie, you rock girl! Fabulous about loving the new house. Fabulous about loving the new job. Just sounds all so positive and I love that you're so upbeat about your new life (silly silly GOH).
yes please, like all the rest, I'm just desperate to see the pics.....

Loads of love and luck
Janexxxx

Posie said...

Lovely to see you home Mousie...well done you, fantastic news.
Posie xxx

Grouse said...

And now you are back.......welcome home, darling......

Carah Boden said...

It is strange how life takes such unexpected turns and sometimes with such unexpected results. There is always good to come out of bad, even if you can't see it at the time. Delighted that all seems to be going so well now. GOH's mistake was your opportunity, perhaps? The new house sounds fab - pix please soon - and so pleased that lovely family have taken over the farm. Job sounds fun too. Great news all round!
x

Anonymous said...

O, that is so sad, I'm so sorry about what happened. I've posted a couple of comments as I read through the archives and didn't realise how everything has turned out.

I hope you are enjoying your new house. I think you're very brave indeed. Best to you, Scribble

Woozle1967 said...

Hi Mousie - good to hear from you. Your new home sounds lovely and what a great job you have! xx