Tuesday 17 July 2007

Harvest and all that Jazz




We are in a state of expectation.


We are waiting for the rains to hold off just for a whole day so we can get into the barley.

I say we, rather like the Royal "we". I mean, of course, my brother and his huge monster of a harvester and all the paraphernalia that goes along with it. Two further men, two tractors and trailers to take turns in unloading the machine and carting off to the grain store. If we have some stiff winds and the corn dries there will be no need to go to the expense of artificial drying. Cereals of any description cannot be stored wet and the moisture content of the crop is measured frequently for the optimum content before cutting. To dry after harvesting costs huge amounts of money and of course this eats into profits; what little there is.

I can hear him now, he is cutting round the edge of the field with a clipper and cutting down the overgrown driveway where he will take his great lumbering machine. Its a huge logistical problem just getting the machine here. We cannot afford or indeed justify a machine of our own as they cost something in the order of £250,000.00. This jobbie has to cut around 2000 acres all told for the four farms it will service. It will labour from dawn to dusk.


It might be our turn first this year.

My brother contract farms for us and we have to wait our turn.

Its a case of whoever has the correct moisture reading on the day gets the machine first. Ours is looking good. We stand very high here and with a good wind and some strong sun we should be in pole position. Dad's farm lies just over the hill, across the river and he waits also. Second on the grid.

Harvest, a bit like charity, should begin at home I think he feels, but not when you are a contractor, oh dear me no. Poor old dad, he still finds this hard to stomach. He keeps ringing me to "see if they are here yet" so he can come up and watch proceedings as brother won't be doing it right - oh no no no. You can imagine. 82 years of experience versus 47. No contest really.


I took this photograph yesterday afternoon - Tuesday - whilst on my walk, looking back across the barley to the farm. I try to do at least 10,000 steps a day - the recommended amount. Who recommended I can't actually recall but it sticks with me. I have a friend who is a House mother in a Boarding House at the local Prep School in a huge old building and she recorded 15,000 steps just during a day's work!

I actually do something in the region of 14,000 on average as I am always outside, walking to and fro somewhere on this farm. It is 35 big steps from my kitchen sink, through the hall, through the dining room into the office so I can soon clock them up. 500 steps to the pond. You get my drift.


Anyway, on this particular day, I have my Ipod attached just to help me along a bit. All sorts of random bit of music, skipping from country to jazz, to rock. When I first got this little toy I was not connected to the internet and therefore it is just loaded with songs with no titles. So it sort of skips from one track to another, rather than plays a whole album. Anyway its a bit like me, skipping along to old Van M, and then racing along with Shania and dreaming with Josh G.

But all the time waiting.

Waiting for harvest.

14 comments:

Bluestocking Mum said...

That was really interesting.

+Good for you doing your steps!! Important to keep doing a bit of exercise. I try to swim when I can but always seem too busy lately!! Hope you are feeling a little better.

warmest wishes
xx

PS-Hubby does know I am doing the Orange Man Blog. However he rather upset himself one day as curiosity got the better of him and he read one. Seeing my raw pain and emotion shook him up. And he was devastated by the comments from people, knew they were right. He told me he won't be reading them again.

Nobody can punish him more than he punishes himself Mousie...If I hadn't had him back I wouldn't have looked for Richard Gere...sure I would have been by myself for a very long time.. Me and boys lives would have been miserable without him. And he knows he WON'T ever do it to me again...

take care
x

Unknown said...

Wow! 10,000 steps! I'd have to walk around my garden non-stop for about a week to tot up that many!

DevonLife said...

is there something biblical about 10,000 steps or did i just make that up!

countrymousie said...

I dont know - I think I just read/heard that was sufficient to keep one fit without this gym business!! Perhaps it was 1,000 and I am overdoing it - I will do some research!!

Blossomcottage said...

I wore a pedometer for a month just of of interest to see how far I walk each day, I was amazed at how long it takes to walk 10,000 steps. I did them most days but I so and awful lot of walking I can imagine lots of people only clock up a few steps, with the amount of cars on the road. My friend Mags wore one and the day the farrier came and she had to get 10 horses in and out she clocked up 34,000.00 steps!! Well Done for doing it.
Blossom

Anonymous said...

Oh and can so relate to this blog. There's silage being made here but the harvest is definitely on it's way, fingers crossed etc. We have a combine but it's pretty ancient and not worth replacing for the 200 acres of arable we have. J does cut elsewhere but on contract basis and it's not worth replacing it. Farming just isn't making enough to warrant spending such a fortune on a machine that only comes out of the shed 2 months of the year if that.

Interesting blog.
Crystal xx

Suffolkmum said...

Well done you for your walking. I have absolutely no idea how many steps I take, I always mean to get a pedometer and always forget. I do seem to be on the move quite a lot, and am quite a restless, fidgety sort of person, but then come the evening, I definitely slob on the sofa! Hope your brother makes it over to you as soon as poss.

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Steps soon mount up don't they! Glad to hear today barley and milk prices on the up!

@themill said...

We're a couple of weeks away from cutting here and rather hoping the combine won't sink into the fields! However, they've been cutting barley, about 30 miles south of us, at 14%.
I'm seriously worried now Mousie - does your prep school chum have a name that begins with the initial D and her hubbie M?

Pondside said...

Very agricultural blog today, Mousie. It's a good thing we've had a look at all those pink shoes or we'd have a completely WRONG picture of this blogger!
I hope your barley is cut by now!

countrymousie said...

Oh yes - us farming stock are a very diverse bunch!!! I have red, blue and green wellie also!!

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

grew up surrounded by farms - still am I suppose - but great to connect.

As an ex-anorexic I get hung up on the scales - can see I could get obssessed with pedometer too.

Chris Stovell said...

I've been reading your harvesting exploits in the common room, Mousie, those kinds of worries make me feel very frivolous indeed for fretting about how white my legs are - but thank you for sparing the time to be supportive!

Chris Stovell said...

PS - have just read your previous blog - very enjoyable!