Wednesday 4 July 2007

Confessions of a serial mower - Singing in the Rain



Well he was amazing. Rod is THE MAN. I have never enjoyed a concert more and he was the consummate professional. Despite absolute pouring rain, thunder and lightning, he came on stage at 8.00 pm on the dot and sang his little socks off for two and a half hours. The band took a ten minute break to dry off their equipment and to mop the stage - what a star. I thought Elton John was fabulous, but Rod was in a different league - a true superstar. It took a week to build the arena, with some 150 technicians and 18 lorries of staging. It took more than a monsoon and 10 stiches in his leg from a fall last week to stop our Rod. So yes, I had an unforgettable evening. Our seats were undercover and in direct line with the stage and the mega screen behind him.
Those in the more expensive seats up against the stage got very very wet despite being issued with little blue plastic rain covers. Not a good look for all the blonde babes trying to attract his attention.
He opened his act with You wear it well and by goodness he does. For a man in his 60's he looks amazing, and very long legged for a chap only some 5'8" tall. That wife of his is a very very lucky lady.

As the heavens opened he pelted out his best known hits such as Do Ya think I'm Sexy, The First Cut is the Deepest,You're in my Heart and of course Sailing. His voice seemed to me as good as it ever was. I have never seen so many middle aged rock chick wannabe's together in one place for a very long time!! I actually felt quite young. I grew up with his music and posters on my bedroom wall.
What he made of our rather small football ground at Ipswich I have no idea after the Wembley stadium on Sunday - he was very game and kicked Celtic footballs in the crowd! We loved him for it anyway and forgave him!

I have just spoken to a friend who was taken as a treat to the concert by a member of the Football Club board - so was wined and dined beforehand, and then taken not to the Directors Box as expected, but to a front row seat which was exciting but of course it meant her rather smart clothes and shoes got totally drenched!! Anyway, she said he did look quite good even close up. I, of course, stayed totally dry in the "cheap seats".

Chrissie Hynde with the Pretenders was the warm up act and she still is a total rock chick babe of the highest order. She can still strut her stuff let me tell you.

Do I think Rod is sexy, you bet!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though I have to admit to not being a Rod fan, that concert does indeed sound fantastic. I feel so sorry for my mum as she got tickets to see him at Manchester Arena over Easter and didn't go because she'd already arranged to come up here and help with the lambing! She ended up giving the tickets away and getting the sound of new born lambs instead.

Crystal xx

countrymousie said...

I think even if you are not a Rod fan, the fact that it was such a wonderful show would have been enough. Well, I would say that wouldnt I!!

Unknown said...

If you really stop and think about it...do you 'feel' your age? And what is 50,51 or 52 supposed to feel like? As long as our heroes don't feel it why should we? Rock on rock chick! Life's for the living and when the Heiress is old enough you can show her how it's done ;)

Unknown said...

Now I really am jealous. I should have been there!!

Actually, I couldn't go as I don't have a babysitter so my concerts these days have to be either on a weekend or when my husband is off work! I'm going to see Athlete and Keane this month so I suppose I can't really complain - it's just that being a season ticket holder at Portman Road, I feel like I should be at every event there!! It's my spiritual home after all!

I did see Neil Diamond there a couple of years ago, but was slightly disappointed to be honest.

Glad you had such a fantastic time. I thought Rod was amazing at the Diana concert too. Great pictures by the way!

Sally Townsend said...

Well said CJ, Rod is a pro, I can't imagine him having that unattractive tantrum that Elton John threw when his limo couldn't quite reach his dressing room for the Diana concert who the hell does he think he is ? someone important ?

Pondside said...

What a night you had! It sounds as though you enjoyed it enough for all of us!

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Glad to hear good old Rod is still holding up....have got a pile of vinyl belonging to him under the bed!!

Exmoorjane said...

Not a Rod fan (that hair!!) but the songs are fabulous....and the old rockers can be the absolute best live. I saw The Pretenders when I was at university in our hall - Chain Gang had just come out and I was due to interview Chrissie Hynde for our college TV station -but she cancelled as she had decided she was 'too busy and important'. Which has, possibly unfairly, put me off her for the last nearly thirty years!!!
Glad you had a good time....sounds great.

laurie said...

prince is playing here tonight and while i don't feel about him the way you feel about rod, i think it would be a lot of fun to be there.